Sunday, June 24, 2007

The most honest ad I've ever seen


I was browsing the homepage over at DownloadSquad when something caught my eye. It was a normal Google Adsense color placement except for one subtle difference: it seemed to know my computer. There was a message in the ad copy that seemed tailored to my brand new HP Pavilion dv9347cl: "*Not recommended for your system." My guess is that whatever they are hawking is not Vista compatible.

This brings up some interesting questions:

  • How much information about my computer can advertisers get through AdWords? By simply purchasing an ad, can they gather usage data about all those who view it?

  • If the ad could tell that I do not have the right computer, why did it appear at all? I did not click on this ad because of its advisory. I would have been more likely to click on another ad.


If anyone has seen anything like this before, tell me in comments.

No comments: